RESEND ACTIVATION EMAIL

If a user exists with the inputted email, an activation email has been sent.

The Sidekick Syndrome

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 9 months ago
The Sidekick Syndrome, as I call it, is something which happens in super hero games when the NPC heroes and villains are made much more powerful than the Player heroes and villains can ever hope to become.

This results in a feeling of never being able to measure up to these NPC giants, and really takes away from the feeling of being the big hero.

City of Heroes to some extent made that mistake with Statesman, and many players were quite happy when he was killed off.

This also is a major problem which plauges DCUO and I hope the developers of VO have a plan to avoid it in this game.
There is tremendous life and personality in a name. It should be at least as agonized over as any character trait.”
― Travis Beacham
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by ZeeHero.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
1 user said "Thank You!"

6 years 9 months ago
This is a great topic ZeeHero and it is something we worked hard to avoid early in production. As heroes and villains you'll likely find yourself teaming up with our signature characters that are actual controlled by us game developers. We've avoided having missions where you're fighting alongside server-controlled signature characters as we want you to experience actual human interaction and to know that the person you're allied with is equally as capable or incapable as you. Even though we're developers, our signature characters can fall during missions and are scaled to the average level value of the group or instance in which we're involved as well.

You'll be saving us at times, and we'll be saving you. I even managed to squeeze in some tech that allows us to spawn personal missions and team up with players and they get a unique mission. So we'll be playing together and win or lose.
3 users said "Thank You!"

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 9 months ago
I was more referring to the characters themselves and how they're portrayed. In DCUO for instance, you know your Exobyte empowered hero is never gonna be
as "big time" as Superman. becuase he's SUPERMAN. arguably the most powerful superhero ever.

Playing with the devs regularly sounds really cool though.
There is tremendous life and personality in a name. It should be at least as agonized over as any character trait.”
― Travis Beacham
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by ZeeHero.

6 years 9 months ago
The same applies in that regard as well; no one character will ever be considered higher than any other. Note that our Terms of Service allows us licensing to include player characters in Valiance related presentations such as promotional art, comics, television shows, movies, or any related derivative. So it only makes sense to keep all our universe's characters on a balanced spectrum.

6 years 9 months ago
awesome idea ironsights, a great way to incorporate dev interactions :) i do think some of the most powerful signature heroes, that's lore makes them as powerful as a whole team of lesser supers/hypers should hold appropriate power in game though. although making those unique IO power variants(as you talked about in talk with the devs a while ago with 60 different IO variants) attainable with effort/making their power just a combination of attainable in game IO's to allow you to eventually mimic their power(or equal it in your own combo) with sufficient effort and the right IO's combo would be very very cool
Such is Life
Knowledge is power, hide it well

• Gerald Deemer
  • Premium Member
  • Heroic Roleplayer since 2009
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 9 months ago
IronSight wrote:
Note that our Terms of Service allows us licensing to include player characters in Valiance related presentations such as promotional art, comics, television shows, movies, or any related derivative.

Valiance Online Comics :)
Valiance Online - The Movie :)

When will the movie launch in the cinemas? :cheer:
Day one member of Valiance Online´s roleplay community!

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 9 months ago
Archanarchist wrote:
awesome idea ironsights, a great way to incorporate dev interactions :) i do think some of the most powerful signature heroes, that's lore makes them as powerful as a whole team of lesser supers/hypers should hold appropriate power in game though. although making those unique IO power variants(as you talked about in talk with the devs a while ago with 60 different IO variants) attainable with effort/making their power just a combination of attainable in game IO's to allow you to eventually mimic their power(or equal it in your own combo) with sufficient effort and the right IO's combo would be very very cool

Who's to say which Super or hyper is "Lesser"? this decision should be left to the creators of the character.
― Travis Beacham

6 years 9 months ago
in most situations young jubilee or kitty pride(latter era kitty pride could possibly beat him by just draging him into the ground, ei having the right IO's and all powers and experienced with them), beast, most of the morlocks extra extra arent equal to later era magneto or superman alone.
thats why they team up with people they dont get on with so they can beat them with teamwork/combined powers
(or a future version of them comes back and evens up the score extra)
Such is Life
Knowledge is power, hide it well
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Archanarchist.

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 9 months ago
That's true but what I meant is it should be up to the writer of the character (the player) to decide how powerful their concept is, and having NPCs which
far surpass anything their character can ever do in game is harmful to that goal.

I'm not against making characters have to work to get on the level of the strongest heroes and villains, but I am against them never being able to measure up to the "Big leagues"
― Travis Beacham
Moderators: AEGIS