RESEND ACTIVATION EMAIL

If a user exists with the inputted email, an activation email has been sent.

PVP mechanics?

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 9 months ago
Will we be able to flag ourselves on and off for pvp or will pvp only take place in special zones?

Personally I would not mind to be able to pvp anywhere as long as it's only when I feel like it and flag myself. I think being able to flag oneself as PVPable or not PVPable is extremely important in any game with open pvp, except maybe games which are basically 100% pvp like EVE online.

Also I would like a seperate "Duel" system where heroes can fight other heroes in friendly spars.
There is tremendous life and personality in a name. It should be at least as agonized over as any character trait.”
― Travis Beacham
The administrator has disabled public write access.
1 user said "Thank You!"

6 years 9 months ago
PVP is a subject I have spent much time thinking and designing around. In fact my first interaction with Valiance Online was to post a relatively in depth design idea on how a dueling system could work for a game like ours. So to start off by answering one question, yes there will be a duel feature as well as a feature to facilitate a "fight club" type scene.

PVP will not be located in a single 'zone' it will be a much broader application, currently I have several pvp systems with some ranging from being able to turn pvp on/off to some character choices you make will lock pvp on for that toon permanently. All of this being said I am not interested in forcing players into something they may feel uncomfortable with or may very well go against the type of RPing someone does on their character, so I do want to make sure to note we are looking at pvp from both sides.
Join me live for a chat at discord.gg/PEPFfNg
2 users said "Thank You!"

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 9 months ago
Jaximus wrote:
PVP is a subject I have spent much time thinking and designing around. In fact my first interaction with Valiance Online was to post a relatively in depth design idea on how a dueling system could work for a game like ours. So to start off by answering one question, yes there will be a duel feature as well as a feature to facilitate a "fight club" type scene.

PVP will not be located in a single 'zone' it will be a much broader application, currently I have several pvp systems with some ranging from being able to turn pvp on/off to some character choices you make will lock pvp on for that toon permanently. All of this being said I am not interested in forcing players into something they may feel uncomfortable with or may very well go against the type of RPing someone does on their character, so I do want to make sure to note we are looking at pvp from both sides.

I think locking PVP on for a character permanently regardless of choice may prove to be very problematic. I could deal with a system where certain choices would turn pvp on for a set amount of time for a character however.

But you gotta remember a LOT of people do not want to ever touch pvp and a large portion of the old City of Heroes community was like that, as well as a lot of Roleplayers from Champions Online, so I would personally be against tying pvp status to normal, PVE character choices.

Putting it in special PVP missions may be a better idea but I dunno about permanent lock on. Sometimes people decide to quit pvp for some reason or other, even those who normally enjoy it.
There is tremendous life and personality in a name. It should be at least as agonized over as any character trait.”
― Travis Beacham

6 years 9 months ago
thanks for the info jaximus :)

zeehero the way i read it is their might be a quest line (probably involving killing the citys mayor or almost killing him or something similarly heinous, with appropriate warnings along the path of outcome) that may leave you outlawed and permanently PVP on, a most wanted list if you will(possibly also triggered by pvping in "unfair" manner extra). it sound cool, i like games that have a decent PVP system.

a badge or flag system where you can be PVP on to just certain sub factions could be cool like they have in blade and soul

PVP has great potential to add additional layers to almost all sections of game play, so long as its managed well and is consensual. i hope its not overlooked and instead is used to add depth to the over all world.

you dont have to have a event where aliens or the russians invade if a guild decides to show its colours in a public zone and fight all willing comers for a while. it creates its own global event spontaneously as just one example of why(consensual) open world pvp (managed/constructed right) add's additional levels of detail and replay ability to game you just cant script in from developer side as a event or series of events.

but if you get the architecture of the underlying system right the players will craft such events in 1000 iterations on a hourly basis :)

get it right and fresh faced noobs will be able to marvel at 2 supers or teams of supers smashing each other across the skyline or through the sewer pipes from 10 mins after they walk in without it impeding their game play at all apart from distracting them and maybe giving them a fright as fight tears right past them ;)
Such is Life
Knowledge is power, hide it well
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Archanarchist.

6 years 9 months ago
Yes Archanarchist you are getting the idea, the ability for perma pvp will not be something that you just wander into accidentally. It would be something that a player would actively work towards over a reasonable period of time.
Join me live for a chat at discord.gg/PEPFfNg
1 user said "Thank You!"

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 9 months ago
Jaximus wrote:
Yes Archanarchist you are getting the idea, the ability for perma pvp will not be something that you just wander into accidentally. It would be something that a player would actively work towards over a reasonable period of time.

Would this be the kind of thing which is placed in an optional quest chain? I definitely would not want to encounter this in the normal storyline quests.

Also what would somebody have to gain from working towards this?
― Travis Beacham

6 years 9 months ago
some people like the added Adrenalin of the risk of being attacked at random.
most games i play with a pvp option i have it turned on, you get attacked like once in a blue moon in most games even with it on.
also in games like EVE temporary and permanent wanted status is a consequence of killing people unlawfully and is used to discourage people from ganking people to often.

really looking forward to a detailed PVP system, preferably adhering to the Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS) principle(so it dosent break and so people can interact with it easly) but still developed enough that it fits within the game world and isnt tacked on the side.
because players and pvp make for the most interesting unique and most repeatable world events if its integrated not a afterthought or a mini game

no mater how good your random content is by the 10th time your running a alt through it the biggest random factors always going to be what players you run into and how they interact with you. same deal for a vet with playing end game content on their char.
Such is Life

6 years 9 months ago
just make sure whatever system you settle on that its rewarding enough, thats the main mistake most games make they rely purely on interaction value to make pvp rewarding which is enough for "pvpers", but "pve'ers" want Ebooty for their effort so make sure it gives all participants plenty of reward and 'PVE'ers' will que up for it ;)
Such is Life

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 9 months ago
Archanarchist wrote:
just make sure whatever system you settle on that its rewarding enough, thats the main mistake most games make they rely purely on interaction value to make pvp rewarding which is enough for "pvpers", but "pve'ers" want Ebooty for their effort so make sure it gives all participants plenty of reward and 'PVE'ers' will que up for it ;)

as long as they keep the rewards for pve and pvp both equal but rewarding people will do both. at least the people who dont hate pvp.
― Travis Beacham

6 years 9 months ago
the implementation of the PVP enhancement reward system was brilliantly executed by the CoX development team. The unique set bonuses with the addition of extra bonuses which would activate while in a PvP status was perfect. Will there be a similar "enhancement" system as this game progresses through updates?
Moderators: AEGIS