RESEND ACTIVATION EMAIL

If a user exists with the inputted email, an activation email has been sent.

Community Developer - Travel Powers

6 years 9 months ago
I feel like a lot of things have been covered, but I want to throw my hat into the ring.

1) Superjump. Superman did it before he could fly! Hulk does it! Sometimes you have a character that's a big ol' brick of muscle but they can't fly. Of course they're going to be able to jump really well! Derp, just read the OP.

2) Astral Projection. Not a conventional travel skill, but a way to scout ahead with minimal risk. Would be very useful looking for ambushes in PVP! Characters in the astral plane could do combat with eachother in some trippy Steve Ditko-esque sequences.

3) Mundane vehicles. Not everyone wants the attention of a super car! Be it the Punisher's van, Peter Parker's scooter, or Mom's minivan, everyone's got their reasons for driving something that's not the Batmobile.

4) Acrobatics. A lot of people have mentioned it. I think the best way to implement it would be some kind of ability that allows a character to scale buildings, then eventually move over rooftops.

5) Public transportation. It's a big city! And sometimes you've gotta lay low in your civies and get across town without attracting attention. To the subway!

6) Flyclops.

Need I say more?
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by JungleWallace.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

6 years 9 months ago
I think it's important to know if those travel powers are enabled during combat as well. If so, I don't think you can get too creative. The fighting skills must work with the traveling powers. How are you supposed to smash the floor with a hammer if you are using a car?

Other than that, I liked some of the suggestions previously mentioned. But, in my opinion, rather than have a bunch of different TPs, I would stick to the 4 we had back in CoX (speed, jump, flight, teleport) and then just add the option to change the looks as a cosmetic thingie. Examples:

Superspeed
. Flash type
. Horizontal rocket propulsion
. Shapeshifting

Superjump
. Hulk type
. Vertical rocket propulsion
. Graple

Aaaaaand so on.
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Falsefiction. Reason: Spelling

6 years 9 months ago
Flight, of course. If Teleporting then it would be really, really, cool if you could have optional saved points and temporary waypoints. The old COX point-and-click felt a bit clunky when just generally out and about. Having a drop-down list of favoured locations would be great. To be honest I only ever used teleport-other. It really came into its own when rescuing party members. You'd try and get out of aggro-range, then TP the rest of the deceased to your location for revival. So even though my main character was a ranged, screaming, death-dealer, I could always back out if things were going pear-shaped, rescue the dead medic, revive them then TP the rest of the team back. ;)

• Zekk
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    GoldPlatinumDiamond
6 years 9 months ago
I'll add my support for the DCUO Acrobatics style with the combo glider and grappling hook/webslinger style but just like DCUO you can only use the grappling hook if an appropriate surface is close like buildings or monuments. I love being able to stand by a building and zipping up to a ledge Batman style.

Also VEHICLES!!! Wouldn't mind tooling around on a sky cycle like Hawkeye!
Attachments:
NO LOCK BOXES!!!
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Zekk. Reason: grammar

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 9 months ago
Having gadgets built into an acrobatics power is only ok if theres another similar acrobatics power without it. Some superheroes don't use gadgets but can run fast too! not everyone is batman.
There is tremendous life and personality in a name. It should be at least as agonized over as any character trait.”
― Travis Beacham

• sersi
6 years 9 months ago
rather than two acrobatics skill it would probably be easier to do it along the lines of DCUO where there is acrobatics, and then extras you can add to it - depending on how customizable powers will be
1 user said "Thank You!"

• Zekk
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    GoldPlatinumDiamond
6 years 9 months ago
That's one of the things I do like about the DCUO you can add to it or not the choice is yours
NO LOCK BOXES!!!

• sersi
6 years 9 months ago
Zekk wrote:
That's one of the things I do like about the DCUO you can add to it or not the choice is yours

yeah. as many things as I didn't like about DCUO, out of the three hero games I think they did Travel powers best. (at least among the very limited options they gave)
1 user said "Thank You!"

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 9 months ago
Zekk wrote:

Adding to it in DCUO would often give a very real advantage over players who didn't. because of that there should at least be 2 options for acrobatics, a gadgets advantage path, and a natural mutant acrobatics path.
There is tremendous life and personality in a name. It should be at least as agonized over as any character trait.”
― Travis Beacham
1 user said "Thank You!"

6 years 9 months ago
Heavily Requested

- Motorcycle/Vehicles
- Teleportation
- Acrobatics/Grappling/Swinging

Nice To Have or Create Later

- Psionic Sense/Astral Projection/Cloaked Scout Drone (can float/walk into an area, but is unable to use abilities, attack standard enemies, or interact with objectives - but is also untargetable. Upon end of power use, will automatically return to the location of the original starting point.)

- Tunneling/Stealth Mode/Phase Walk

Thanks to Jungle for the concept of Astral Projection as a travel power. I wanted to mention it again with a couple variations so it's even more viable for a large variety of origin/power types.
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by TigerOpsF36. Reason: Just thought of a couple more theme variations on the tunneling travel power.

6 years 9 months ago
teleport, real point and click teleport that moves you from one place to another without passing through the intervening area. with its attendant recall friend recall team teleport team additional unlocks :)

also temporary powers for motor cycle possibly a hover cycle or board/both. and of course a rocket pack
if you do put in a bike can you give it a wheelie option if you hold down space bar and can you make the hover board/bike do a barel role if you hold down space? :P
Such is Life
Knowledge is power, hide it well
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Archanarchist.

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 9 months ago
Archanarchist wrote:
teleport, real point and click teleport that moves you from one place to another without passing through the intervening area. with its attendant recall friend recall team teleport team additional unlocks :)

also temporary powers for motor cycle possibly a hover cycle or board/both. and of course a rocket pack
if you do put in a bike can you give it a wheelie option if you hold down space bar and can you make the hover board/bike do a barel role if you hold down space? :P

Point and click teleport would be a pain to use in combat. How about a teleport which moves you a fixed distance in the direction you are facing or moving, and another version which allows you to teleport anywhere on the map, (with a much higher resource cost)
― Travis Beacham

6 years 9 months ago
Definitely have to agree with 2 or more travel powers on a character.
And I second what others have suggested. I like Champions Online's selection of travel powers so a variety like that would be great.

6 years 9 months ago
Point and click teleport would be a pain to use in combat. How about a teleport which moves you a fixed distance in the direction you are facing or moving, and another version which allows you to teleport anywhere on the map, (with a much higher resource cost)

thats what point and click TP is like they had in CoX you would TP Xm in a set direction that you clicked mouse or if their was a object closer then that max distance that you had mouse siting on it youd land/stop at object, it was very good in combat bound to a key like T or shift, if you had hover and had stealth or CC's and knew how to use it
Such is Life
Knowledge is power, hide it well
Last Edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Archanarchist.

6 years 9 months ago
Itlandm wrote:
I hope winged characters won't need to take taxi until level 15! Actually, I really hope there will be winged characters, as it is a major draw of this genre. Perhaps not at release, but at least in an early issue. I would certainly be willing to pay for a pair of nice wings.

its always been my firm belief that should have the travel powers when you start the game. as you level they get faster and go further distance and become so powerful they begin to augment your other abilities.

for example the one you used wings. at first should have a limited distance and speed using an endurance bar since it's a physical form of movement. at level 10 they become strong enough to glide which stops the endurance bar while gliding but you can't go higher up or turn without restarting the endurance bar. later at level 20 your wings give you the ability to cause gust of wind which knock down enemies during combat. later still at level 30 your wings are so strong now they can shield you from physical damage as they wrap around your body absorbing melee attacks and light gun fire. when you reach the maximum level your wings will have become so strong that you no longer have the endurance bar and the speed is tripled.

for other powers like teleport it starts with a short distance and a small cooldown timer.
at 10 it would gain a short invisibility as you materialize unseen.
at 20 it would gain the ability to create a small force explosion at the landing area which knocks foes down
at 30 it would allow you to teleport breakable objects with you that shield you from damage til destroyed.
at max level teleport would lose the distance limit and timer and go as far as your cursor could reach as well as using the world map to do a site to site teleport.

every travel power would gain its own special things as you became more powerful and be useful in and out of combat.

• Gerald Deemer
  • Premium Member
  • Heroic Roleplayer since 2009
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 9 months ago
I think there should be several forms of "flight"
Flying with different postures and different effects like auras or trails.

Additionally I would add transforming travel powers which fit great with magical characters.
- Transforming into a fireball and flying around
- Transforming into a acid cloud
- Transforming into a multi-colored magical light
- Transforming into a small black hole
- Transforming into a flying liquid form

Things like that what other MMOs don´t have.

Copying DCs and Marvels travel powers will only make the kids happy. I think showing something creative and new would be good for the game and the success of VO.
Day one member of Valiance Online´s roleplay community!

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 9 months ago
How about the ability to turn into a bird and fly like that? or a bat?
― Travis Beacham

6 years 9 months ago
ZeeHero wrote:
How about the ability to turn into a bird and fly like that? or a bat?
Someone else mentioned animal transforms as well. I was kind of thinking, why limit it to animals? Whoever had the idea of turning electric and riding along power lines, I thought that was a great idea. Or for a tech/steampunk type, maybe transforming into a vehicle.

This might be a really dumb idea, but what about something like a location swap? Like the agents in the Matrix films, or Azazel from 1998 Fallen. You'd basically manifest in some NPC or something near where you want to be. That isn't how it worked in Fallen, but the demon traveled through "NPCs" (extras) by contact. That might lend itself to some really neat combat applications.

That's just another way of teleporting, though, I guess. All my ideas are teleport. But with a location swap I thought maybe it could also be possible to switch places with another player, like if you were each where the other person wanted to be, someone could maybe broadcast for a swap. Not very practical, but maybe different.

• Gerald Deemer
  • Premium Member
  • Heroic Roleplayer since 2009
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 9 months ago
The elastic travel power... oh wait... that should be in already. :)

Vehicles are good for heroes and villains that are human. Space ships, planes, aircrafts, motor bikes, cars...

Being able to customize them would be asked too much but changing the color of the vehicle would be nice. Just for a minimum of personalization.

Vehicles can not be used in dungeons of course. I notice that Champions Online did a great job with vehicles and travel powers. Just copy their travel powers ;)
Day one member of Valiance Online´s roleplay community!

• Zekk
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    GoldPlatinumDiamond
6 years 8 months ago
Gerald Deemer wrote:
The elastic travel power... oh wait... that should be in already. :)

Vehicles are good for heroes and villains that are human. Space ships, planes, aircrafts, motor bikes, cars...

Being able to customize them would be asked too much but changing the color of the vehicle would be nice. Just for a minimum of personalization.

Vehicles can not be used in dungeons of course. I notice that Champions Online did a great job with vehicles and travel powers. Just copy their travel powers ;)

I have to admit I cringed when you said just copy what CO does, I do like many of the vehicles they have yet it would be nice to customize and also have them complement your powerset. Case in point if you are a melee fighter character like a street brawler or martial artist and if you have a flying vehicle to take on a flying enemy your vehicle would have concussive blasts of varying degrees. Fire based? Then fire blasts. Ice, radiation, energy, etc.

The option would be open to add something different to your arsenal but for those that want to stick strictly to the theme of their powersets wouldn't fret over the choices available.

At the end of the day it would be nice to shoot someone like Fin Fang Foom in the face rather than punching his pinkie toe. :cheer:
NO LOCK BOXES!!!
Moderators: AEGIS