RESEND ACTIVATION EMAIL

If a user exists with the inputted email, an activation email has been sent.

Copyrights

7 years 6 months ago
Hello all!
I'm not sure if this is the place for this, but I am curious how the Dev team is planning to overcome one of CoX's greatest survival hamstrings: The potential for players to reproduce copyrighted character properties that make the company vulnerable to lawsuits. While this wasn't the primary reason CoX failed, it was certainly a contributing factor.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

• AEGIS
  • Administrator
7 years 6 months ago
This will be covered in detail our terms of service.

7 years 6 months ago
Please be very careful with it! CoX had it in their TOS, and still lost an expensive lawsuit about it. Throw your best lawyers at it!

It would break my heart to see this project succeed, only to lose it to something so annoying.

7 years 6 months ago
I still see Deadpooled, Iron Manns, Gokoo, etc. Folks still create such characters in games like Soul Caliber, 2k16, Saints Row, etc; to playonline. There are still characters whom look like the Hulk with a different name. There are still folks whom use the name, to an extent.

forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?...age-324#post-3822638

forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?...age-323#post-3818944

My point is, I understand where Marvel is coming from, nobody likes to see their creations of the mind used, and they are protected. However, welcome to the world of Iconic figures, where they are imitated. Folks are fans, therefore express their appreciation through likeness. It is possible to make iconic characters in any game with a creator. Good luck trying to stop something that has and will continue to go on.

This is dangerous territory indeed for VO, but it will never stop. These companies are being petty, they know good and damn well Joe in his momma's basement has no clout with his bootleg Spiderman. I understand that it is bigger than that, and the principal thereof, but this still goes on in Champion Online, and DCUO. It still goes on in games like Soul Caliber or 2k16. I don't see the point in it really. Nothing is going to stop fans from doing it. They can punish the companies, but the next MMO will continue to do this.

Only way to truly stop it is shutting down creators in games.

An Ash character like the one mentioned above would be pretty cool in this game I would imagine, since one can create pets and whatnot. Would it even be possible to create a big turtle with back cannons? ....Oooops...I am doing it already..... :(
Last Edit: 7 years 6 months ago by TheCity.

7 years 5 days ago
These companies don't hassle fan artists at conventions (PS I hope more people at cons start making their OWN work), and they are actually making money of IPs they don't own. Ability to create a similar look to a character in a videogame should be just as beneath their gaze.

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
7 years 5 days ago
I Would not worry about it, Champions Online has had little to no action taken against these uncreative abominations for a long time and it's still running.

the problem Champions has is abandonment by the parent company PWE, which is starving the game to death.
There is tremendous life and personality in a name. It should be at least as agonized over as any character trait.”
― Travis Beacham

• Gerald Deemer
  • Premium Member
  • Heroic Roleplayer since 2009
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 11 months ago
Every player reads and accepts the terms of use of VO. If users clone legally protected trademarks they have to be hold responsible. I would pass on the responisbility to the users by determine this in the terms of use.

Oh, and don´t forget the report button in game... ;)

I always hated clones in MMOs.
Day one member of Valiance Online´s roleplay community!

6 years 11 months ago
chaetophile wrote:
Please be very careful with it! CoX had it in their TOS, and still lost an expensive lawsuit about it. Throw your best lawyers at it!

It would break my heart to see this project succeed, only to lose it to something so annoying.

COH didnt lose. Marvel did.
1 user said "Thank You!"

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 11 months ago
Suing over character clones in a super hero MMO is like Disney suing crayola for their crayons being able to draw Mickey Mouse.
There is tremendous life and personality in a name. It should be at least as agonized over as any character trait.”
― Travis Beacham
1 user said "Thank You!"

6 years 11 months ago
thats why i hate marvel, they never respond with a game like this , but they sued every one -_-
Moderators: AEGIS