RESEND ACTIVATION EMAIL

If a user exists with the inputted email, an activation email has been sent.

Task Forces and Trials

6 years 8 months ago
Maybe it was covered in another post, but I didn't see it during my browsing.

I'm really hoping for the return of content similar to the CoX Trials and Task Forces. I was a huge fan, and a frequent participant, in the various task forces throughout the CoX universe. Specifically, I liked the badge system, collecting the various badges for participating, and needing to collect several badges to earn the Task Force Commander Accolade (and subsequent stat boost).
The administrator has disabled public write access.
2 users said "Thank You!"

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 8 months ago
I'm pretty sure stat boosts from achievements would be extremely unbalancing, but I'm all for cosmetic achievements and titles.

Let's keep the stat boosts on enhancements.
There is tremendous life and personality in a name. It should be at least as agonized over as any character trait.”
― Travis Beacham

6 years 8 months ago
ZeeHero wrote:
I'm pretty sure stat boosts from achievements would be extremely unbalancing, but I'm all for cosmetic achievements and titles.

Let's keep the stat boosts on enhancements.

I disagree. The stat boosts received from the accolades were very minor. Like a +5% to Max HP or something like that. AP Medallion was a +5% to End. It was beneficial to the character, and I sought out the accolades because of them, although it wasn't something that completely set you apart from a non-accolade enhanced character. The power sets and enhancements slots had way more to do with it than the small accolade bonuses.
1 user said "Thank You!"

6 years 8 months ago
Ya, I liked Accolades. They were minor boosts, but still seemed worth it. I ended up chasing them down with most of my characters I played with regularly at high level.

• cyanpill
  • Rise of the Pheonix!
  • FounderBronze
6 years 8 months ago
Somewheres in one of the livestreams, I'm pretty sure the devs mentioned achievements giving boosts to all your characters, hence your account leveling.
Backer #261
Check out SEGS, an attempt to remake CoH servers!

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 8 months ago
If its accountwide boosts I can get behind it provided the boosts are very small. Accountwide progression is always good in a game which wants to encourage alts.
There is tremendous life and personality in a name. It should be at least as agonized over as any character trait.”
― Travis Beacham

• HotNerd
  • Premium Member
  • I'm allergic to Discord.
  • FounderBronze
6 years 8 months ago
I too loved task forces and strike forces! I set up so many teams back in the day with a key bound to /tell everyone I could find in the LFG (looking for group) menu. There's something fun about teaming and traveling for a set number of missions with a AV/tough mission at the very end (or generic incrementing difficulty with each mission passing). The one off trial missions with unique objecyives such as the Eden or Sewer trial were so fun as well. I loved that every or almost every city zone had specific task force with a key character providing each mission. Having a variety of task force's to choose from which all range in level and enemy type kept me very interested for the grind of 1-50 on each of my characters. It would be nice if Valiance takes the same approach or somehow make this system above and beyond City of Heroes.
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by HotNerd.

6 years 8 months ago
ZeeHero wrote:
If its accountwide boosts I can get behind it provided the boosts are very small. Accountwide progression is always good in a game which wants to encourage alts.

Why not both? Some accolades that are unlocked account wide, with small boosts. Then, individual character accolades that you would have to do on each character which provided a better boost? Say 2.5% hp for the global, and an additional 2.5%hp if you did it again on that character, or something similar.

For me, I like the idea of each character needing to do the content to get the boost. I can see where the global unlock camp is coming from, but just because I did something on my blaster, it just seems implausible for my tank to automatically have that bonus, as well.

I like working towards things that have rewards. Doing it "one and done" just doesn't suit me

6 years 8 months ago
I tend to agree captain_karate. I'm for the individual accolades. I see it as a challenge that each character must face in order to obtain the bonus. I don't remember CoH having anything account wide, but I could be wrong.

Also agree with Hotnerd, various level ranges was great. Allows you to do them as you're progressing or as level 50 content when You exemplar down.

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 8 months ago
Becuase having to grind the same boosts on every character discourages the use of alts, especially as more and more are added to grind, and gives an advantage to people who play only one character.
― Travis Beacham

6 years 8 months ago
ZeeHero wrote:
Becuase having to grind the same boosts on every character discourages the use of alts, especially as more and more are added to grind, and gives an advantage to people who play only one character.

No one says you have to do anything. If you don't want to get a completely optional thing in game, don't do it. Global, and Character Accolades would fall into this category. They are little boosts that would be there for those that wish to seek them. If you put in the time and effort to get them, you should be rewarded. Look, I generally have a lot of alts. But even I want each alt to have to get the Accolades, even though it would be immensely easier for me to advocate for them to be account bound - simply because I feel doing something once shouldn't provide limitless rewards to your account, for the rest of the game's life. I really feel that having to do it for all characters makes you appreciate the content and the accolades more. Generally, getting an accolade should require a certain amount of time and effort. Even if this is 2-4 hours, it's not that consequential. It's entirely possible to finish in one, or two playing sessions per character. I'm not talking about making Accolades that require you to defeat a boss 20 times, and he only spawns once a week, or anything.

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 8 months ago
If it gives an actual stat boost,no matter how small, most people I know would think of that as "mandatory" for their character to be how they ideally want them.

I suppose you could have some character bound boosts, but they'd have to be limited in number so people with a large number of alts can realistically get them for their favorite 3-5 characters at the very least.
― Travis Beacham

6 years 8 months ago
I played with a lot of people in CoH over my 7 years there. And not everyone had the accolades. Heck, I bet some of the more casual players might not have even known they existed. It didn't really effect much honestly. I never once heard anyone forming a team say they were only accepting characters who had the Atlas Medallion, etc. Stat boosts tied to accolades are more for people who either like collecting things, or try to squeeze every little bit of efficiency and survivability from their characters, no matter how small. For these reason, I see no problem with them being required for each character.

As I mentioned before, the actual time investment for each accolade was relatively small, so I don't think that is an unreasonable price for someone to be willing to pay for a small boost(s) to each character.

Another great thing about accolades is that you can accumulate progress towards them at your own pace. No one says you need to get them all in one day, or complete a marathon playing session. They are things to work towards, however you choose. Eventually, the reward will be there.

[Personally, I had 5 CoH accounts, and on just my primary acct alone, I had 32 level 50s on Champion server. And all of them had the accolades which granted +end, +hp. So I can relate to the point that most people might consider them mandatory. However, I am also an example that people who have lots of alts, can also achieve these things on lots of character, with no issue.]
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by captain_karate. Reason: deleted reduntant wording

6 years 8 months ago
I also didn't mind the accolades per character. I thought the reward appropriate for the 'grind' or as I prefer to call it, playing the game. I had over 30 characters and they definitely did not all have the accolades. I didn't feel it was mandatory but was just a nice extra that you could get or skip. I didn't really need it on characters like my Grav/Earth controller. It was not mandatory in the way Stamina was and even then some players didn't feel that power was necessary even though the devs made it built-in later.
Moderators: AEGIS