RESEND ACTIVATION EMAIL

If a user exists with the inputted email, an activation email has been sent.

Some Cool Power Ideas

7 years 5 months ago
I have LOVED Superhero themed games and the like since my childhood. And City of Heroes was my first MMO I played when I was about 12 years old. However, even a game where you could fly though the air, run at super sonic speeds, and punch evil in the face it still lacked certain power sets that would have appealed to me. I am posting on this topic some ideas I've had that would make this game surpass it's dead cousin.

Melee-

---Spear/Staff/Pole-arm- A weapon power with a longer range than swords or hammers. Reach out and poke someone!

---Biological- Inspired by the Prototype video games, you can shape your body into blades or clubs to slaughter enemies. (Could use a better name though...)

Ranged-

---Arm Cannon- Inspired by Megaman, Samus Aran, and many others, you can change your hand into a gun with multiple functions.

---Light- Create glowing energy that can be shot at foes as lasers or flash bombs. Most of these powers can blind enemies.

Defensive-

---Metallic- Inspired by Colossus from X-Men, choosing this power will change your skin to different metals with different properties. Some could work better with each of the different elements

---Form Shift- Your body is not solid (unless you make it solid) You can change from solid to liquid to gas. Solid forms could lower elemental damage, liquid forms can lower physical damage, and gaseous forms could give you temp invincibility.

Control-

---Poison- This may sound more evil, but with this power can make all sorts of toxins that can cause a wide array of ailments. From Blindness, to DoT, to confusion, or even flat out death.

---Swarm- Inspired by Ant Man, control a variety of insects such as ants who can slow foes or bees who sting them over time.

I've come up with many more, but these are some which I think could work best.
Please reply and tell me what you all think!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
2 users said "Thank You!"

7 years 5 months ago
From my understanding the powers will not be as "locked down" as they were in CoH, that is that you will have many more options in how they look. Add in enhancements that can slightly change a powers behaviour and most of your suggestions would be better suited for the aesthetic side of a power rather than a distinct full blown power set.

Don't get me wrong, they are good ideas and I wouldn't mind having them in the game regardless of how they are implemented.
1 user said "Thank You!"

7 years 5 months ago
Well, the website hasn't said anything about a power list yet (Unless I just couldn't find it... please post a link if it's somewhere) and I have not played the game yet. I don't know anything about how the systems work, but I just thought it would be AWESOME if I could come up with something to implement. I was browsing a mmorpg website and saw Valiance and I got so excited, I thought "A reboot of CoH? WOOHOO!" And since it is still in the works I made this list to try and see if I could make some of my ideas a reality!

7 years 5 months ago
Well, that info might've been mostly on the old forums. The basic premise is that they will make a fairly big separation between how a power functions and how it looks, to the point where I'm pretty sure they have said that fire powers may have ice as a visual option.

Though I must say that there is a serious lack of "design docs" here in general so we don't have that good an idea of how they intend do build the game, from a mechanics PoV.

On another note, I would suggest that you also take a look at City of Titans, another spiritual successor to CoH.

7 years 5 months ago
some of the videos showing the char creator show some of the basic power types available, fire ice energy electricity, faded out rad, ext, have a look at some of youtube vids of people building chars in pre alpha and do some pausing when it gets to char power selection. you will be able to change the look of powers a lot, have ice that generates from a gun sword or generic hand extra
pretty sure i saw poison amongst it

it sounds like they have poly power set planed at least which will be nice that likely will have stuff like turning arm into a axe ext

some kind of 2h spear like power set would be nice i agree with longer range and maybe some defence or resistance buffs incorporated into attacks

a few different forms of mentalist powers would be nice also a telepathy a telekinesis a psychokinesis(psionic constructs made from mind used as weapons) and hopefully fire ice extra can be set to fire from head like it sounds like it will be to add further "mental" options without needign a whole new mostly duplicate power set

i hope theirs a decent variety of powers and skins for their Mastermind classes, while ill end up playing 1 of every class, i really like masterminds and i hope they do what they seem to be doing and nicely expand the category compared to CoH which did pets better then basically any game before or since so it is a big ask, if they do it as well as CoH/CoV ill love it if they improve on it some then ill really love it
Such is Life
Knowledge is power, hide it well

7 years 5 months ago
they have said their IO's(power enhancements) have unique ability's that can be added to powers so stuff like a fire attack can be slotted with a ice IO that freezes opponent they have like 50 different unique power IO's its one of the coolest parts but probably also one of the parts taking most time to integrate
Such is Life
Knowledge is power, hide it well
1 user said "Thank You!"

6 years 3 months ago
One of the powers should definitely open up your arm for robot characters, but I think one other power should definitely ley your control gravity for AOE attacks and some pretty cool movement.

• Fraile
  • Premium Member
  • FounderBronze
6 years 3 months ago
Great, your ideas are awesome. Also I offer the darkness powers as a control powerset using the shadows of enemies to control mons as a control/ temporal commander.
Also light its good and also neon powers as able to manipulate the spectrum of colours would be cool, already have a character thinked with this last abilty.
Other powers such as transforming It was being as ink, solidifiying your body to solid, liquid and gas like the three forms of water.
The Raven observes from the sky. He descends as a death God, and he takes the souls they debt for himself...
Moderators: AEGIS