RESEND ACTIVATION EMAIL

If a user exists with the inputted email, an activation email has been sent.

moving while firing/slashing/fighting/etc

6 years 7 months ago
the one feature in CoH i hate was how it locked your toon in place while in combat during a power cycle...made flying blaster torch types and such dorky. Would love to be able to move like shooting like in dcuo and such.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
3 users said "Thank You!"

6 years 7 months ago
Thanks, this is a topic that has been heavily discussed, just be advised what you are currently experiencing is not going to be the final feel of the game.
Join me live for a chat at discord.gg/PEPFfNg
3 users said "Thank You!"

6 years 1 month ago
Black Desert Online has the best movement combat system I've seen in mmos so far and they did this by totally removing the stale ancient tab targeting system every mmo has had forever. Where rng defense doesn't exist because you have to dodge and defense stats are only built into some attacks (like super armor and front guard, the rest is armor that reduces damage for when you fail to dodge and actually dodging nukes is more important. No more so and so had a chance to hit you based off some accuracy stat and your dodge stat. Like in the modern super hero if we had super reflexes you'd need to incorporate dodges into attacks like the super reflexes would automatically warp your character as you do an attack so your opponent would still get hit but would be more likely to miss you.

The powers are point blank aoes, cones, wide cones and wider area aoes. So if you do punch someone or do a sword slash fireball etc it will effect multiple targets in front of you. How this would work with a punch would be from chi (super strength/martial arts) or willpower (mentalist / psychics) Your punch would send chi/psionic power out and also damage targets on in an outward cone or a miniature aoe occurs on the first target the punch hits.

I would LOVE to see tab targetting gone and movement based fighting in a superhero mmo. Like wise I'd also love to cancel out abilities using my attacks too like energy grappling and beam battles in anime like dbz where two characters block chi blasts with chi blasts (galic gun vs kamehameha anyone?) or imagine vaporizing bullets your opponent just shot at you with a chi blast.

Loved CoX and I Want to play it again someday and I wouldn't be upset if this game tried to completely copy it but I also wouldn't be upset a game that didn't have rng defense. If I dodge an attack I shouldn't get it after all. BDO made nearly all attacks quick and instant and gave all classes dashes and teleports, melee and ranged attacks so it's mostly fair for all.
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by noyjitat.

• Fraile
  • Premium Member
  • FounderBronze
6 years 1 month ago
Yes, that’s more or less a topic that offered on an old post about combat. Would like to have implemented movement through casting powers and abilities also would like to see camera movement and two basic attacks with the mouse left and right buttons.
The Raven observes from the sky. He descends as a death God, and he takes the souls they debt for himself...
Last Edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Fraile.

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
6 years 3 weeks ago
ESO does this, and while the combat system is occasionally marred by bugs, it's pretty good. no tab targeting nonsense either (tab targeting is asking for frustration, I've never played a game with a good tab targeting system, even the biggest 2 MMOs out there have bad ones.)
There is tremendous life and personality in a name. It should be at least as agonized over as any character trait.”
― Travis Beacham

6 years 3 weeks ago
Old topic, but agreement. Another good example of a modern game with a reasonably good take on non-tab targeting would be Secret World Legends. It took some adjustment, but not a ton, and I found I liked it a WHOLE lot better. Especially where aoes are concerned.

5 years 11 months ago
While certain powers should allow movement some should not. I would much prefer the targeting system style of what was in CoH/CoV. I know zee likes the K-style MMO systems but I don't and it is not what I put money into this project for. There are other games being made that are doing that and this one so far as I know is not. While a fast plink of an arrow should not lock you down a draw and fire shot should. I also hope they do not put in FPS aiming because that is horrible for people like me with vision issues. an MMORPG should not be an FPS as well unless it is primarily an FPS such as planetside.
1 user said "Thank You!"

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
5 years 11 months ago
This game isn't going to BE CoX, so theres no harm improving on the things CoX did imperfectly. a fun combat system would make VO a huge improvement over CoX.
There is tremendous life and personality in a name. It should be at least as agonized over as any character trait.”
― Travis Beacham

• Fraile
  • Premium Member
  • FounderBronze
5 years 11 months ago
Well, I know it’s a game but it would feel more realistic or at least heroic for being powerful the possibilty of moving while shooting bullets or ice rays. Also do some sprints or slashes forward and backwards because it’s weird having a blaster hero or villain who can one shot any inexpert solider of an enemy organization, be chased and surrounded by mobs attacking him while he can fly and be only targeted with long range attacks.
The Raven observes from the sky. He descends as a death God, and he takes the souls they debt for himself...
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by Fraile.

5 years 11 months ago
An idea I had was...let them move/fly and shoot....but give kickback. That is..as newtons lawdictates..for each action..an equal and opposite reaction. While they are shooting...its like a minor thruster slowly pushing them back...it could drive them back out of range making them readust to compensate.

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
5 years 11 months ago
Kefrem wrote:
An idea I had was...let them move/fly and shoot....but give kickback. That is..as newtons lawdictates..for each action..an equal and opposite reaction. While they are shooting...its like a minor thruster slowly pushing them back...it could drive them back out of range making them readust to compensate.

You're not thinking that idea through enough- that would be terrible for gameplay and fun in general. In a world where people are super strong and dense, or have Inertial dampening tech they invented somehow, anything is possible, no need for excessive realism.
― Travis Beacham

5 years 11 months ago
we need to keep multiple playstyles in mind, CoX combat was fun because it allowed for so many different kinds of characters. K-style MMOs have for me what is completely boring combat systems. Waiting for the colored circles to appear to hit the dodge key is stupid to me, I like the idea of my rock tank not being able to get out of something like that and thus such a mechanic would completely stop any chance such a powerset would have of being able to do it thus killing the entire playstyle of those of us who like having the slow tough bruiser. This is one of the major problems with CO, it cuts out too many playstyles. Managing I-frames is also boring to me. CoX didn't have zero movement for all of the abilities, my street brawler had a couple moves that worked while moving and jumping or moving while flying allowed a lot of ways around this hindrance for ranged. Fliers were able to easily move while meleeing also. All you had to do was start the movement before the attack.
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by ryokoryu. Reason: Misread a quote
1 user said "Thank You!"

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
5 years 11 months ago
Moving out of the way of colored circles I'm afraid is a mechanic in every game. Being able to stand in all of them would be heavily unbalanced, but in many games you CAN build to be able to stand in some.
― Travis Beacham

5 years 11 months ago
ZeeHero wrote:
Moving out of the way of colored circles I'm afraid is a mechanic in every game. Being able to stand in all of them would be heavily unbalanced, but in many games you CAN build to be able to stand in some.
It isn't a part of every game, just a lot of them and it is a crap mechanic to me. it completely breaks immersion and I don't play MMOs or games that use it. I know there will be an answer to this post but it will be at least a month before I can react to it so take your time to respond.

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
5 years 11 months ago
Actually remember the Anti Matter boss in COH? My friend told me about it the other day. He'd mark an area everyone would have to escape from fast or die.

Even the most DURABLE INVINCIBLE heroes can be hurt by some things. and those are the things little gohan needs to learn to DODGE!
― Travis Beacham
Last Edit: 5 years 11 months ago by ZeeHero.

5 years 11 months ago
I'll give my two cents here.

I'm not against some moves rooting a player, but am for most moves enabling some movement(or even full movement) while using them.

Even the original CoH developers pointed out that they wanted to add movement while using powers to the game. Probably because of how more skilled players tended to circumvent the rooting while in combat CoH had by jumping just before launching a power. They'd use the momentum to carry them while the attack animation plays. This worked for melee to, in fact it was easier to practice the technique with melee than ranged(just time the jump so your already in the air when you come in range). So many high end CoH players DID in fact have a means of moving while shooting, it was just highly improvised. Kind of like vulture micro in starcraft 1(vultures retained a lot of momentum when firing a grenade, so with timing you could have them moving at full speed and still fire grenades).

As for telegraphing and fights requiring you to move.

Boss fights where you never have to move at all can get boring. They don't have to be extreme "Oh hey heres a huge glowing circle you need to go away from" painful obvious gamey indicators though. I get why they do that, because they are trying to telegraph the attacks. But telegraphing doesn't have to be so blatantly obvious. It could be in the animation of that big boss. It could be a subtle word on your status bar(though dont punish the ENTIRE LEAGUE if a player misses that, for the love of god don't do what CoH Underground trial did). As long as the telegraph is there, it doesn't need to be some huge glowing bright yellow/pink "this area is targetted" thing.

And course yeah, more solutions to moves to. But telegraphed moves that can be avoided with movement being in addition to say some good buffs or something? Thats just another extra tool the player would get to work with that'd give Silverhelm a means to provide a wider variety of problems and keep the game fresher in the long run.
2 users said "Thank You!"

5 years 10 months ago
I guess the OPs suggestion was more said in context of DCUOs real time action combat opposed to the bor erm traditional tab and wait CTD combat; of which both can include movement in bossfights. As long as not every mob becomes an minibossfight as with DCUOs leveled zones (at least last I saw them). Makes the Superhero feel like a wuss.

ZeeHero wrote:
Actually remember the Anti Matter boss in COH? My friend told me about it the other day. He'd mark an area everyone would have to escape from fast or die.

Even the most DURABLE INVINCIBLE heroes can be hurt by some things. and those are the things little gohan needs to learn to DODGE!

And yes, then there are times where movement and tactics should become important ;)

Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by Anothername.

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
5 years 10 months ago
These days in DCUO you can take on large amounts of mobs at once if you know what you're doing. and a Controller or Tank type can take on even more. Fond memories of my DCUO controller, since CO control sucks so hard and DCUO controllers feel powerful control wise.
― Travis Beacham
Moderators: AEGIS