RESEND ACTIVATION EMAIL

If a user exists with the inputted email, an activation email has been sent.

Poll: Character Creation or Level

Upon Char. Creation 3 50%
Through Leveling 3 50%
Total number of voters: 6 ( IronSight, Elleriel, blacke4dawn, funfreak55, Deacon ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

Flight, Speed, or Teleportation?

• Page:

7 years 5 months ago
I remember in CoH one of the most memorable moments for me was deciding which way i got around. I was wondering if Valiance had something like this planned where everyone had to walk until a certain level in which they got to choose, or like in DCUO you just choose off the character creation screen. I'm really interested in seeing what other people think of these two conflicting ideals. Personally I like the leveling and waiting to choose your power to get a feel for the game first.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

7 years 5 months ago
i haven't noticed sub trees like in CoH for flight leadership speed extra but it would be nice if thats planed hopefully :P

ive even had chars that didnt have space for a travel power proper and got by with just combat jumping or hover and item jetpacks

i very much hope travel powers coem in sub trees like in CoH but ill also settle on it being more like champions or DC online but i would prefer it more like CoH managed it where you could have multiple travels if you wanted but had to sacrifice power slot for it because lets face it TP or flight or even supper speed is a force multiplier it should have a power slot devoted to it
Such is Life
Knowledge is power, hide it well
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Archanarchist.

7 years 5 months ago
I would prefer to have a power upon creation. You could start off with a lower version of it at lower levels that get faster as you grow.

Because you are this great and powerful being, you should not be limited to walking everywhere.
1 user said "Thank You!"

7 years 5 months ago
To me having to wait a few levels before being able to get ones travel power forms a kind of disconnect since most often ones travel power(s) is/are connected to ones power-theme as a whole and having to gain combat experience before being able to use those powers for travel has never made sense for me. Not sure when it was implemented but CoH got good enough travel options in the form of Ninja Run that were available from the start.

Not sure that not having a travel power will make you "feel" the game better since the game's "feel" changes significantly between having and not having a travel power.

7 years 5 months ago
Remember at beginning of COH/COV, you acquired only at lvl 14 your full power travel, at lvl 6 you could just have hover...
It would be nice to get also some attack powers linked to the travel power you take ("teleport punch" for example)...

7 years 4 months ago
Elleriel wrote:
Remember at beginning of COH/COV, you acquired only at lvl 14 your full power travel, at lvl 6 you could just have hover...
It would be nice to get also some attack powers linked to the travel power you take ("teleport punch" for example)...
Personally I don't really like the idea of linking attack powers with certain travel powers. I don't even see a way to make those powers without making lots a redundant/duplicate ones, or essentially pigeonholing people into specific travel powers when they do a specific concept.

To take your "teleport punch" example. It's either is a "standard" ranged attack with an aesthetics of where you either create a sort of wormhole to "teleport" part of your body or completely teleport to target punch them and then teleport back, or it's a "standard" lunge attack with an aesthetics of you teleporting to the target to punch them and then stay there.

It may sound negative but the fact is the less dependencies there are between powers the more customization potential there is. Heck, I'm not even sure we should link aesthetics in such ways.

7 years 4 months ago
Elleriel wrote:

I remember farming with groups in Perez Park near the dock (the sludge monsters - name escapes me). We could go form level 10-14 pretty quick in early issue days this way. It was such a milestone to get a travel power at that point.

I could go either with earning the power or having at the start. Maybe a hybrid of both where you pick it but have it 'suppressed' to start until you do a quest for permission to use it. As a player you could take that mission on right away or do something else. Best of both worlds of sorts.

• Oskmey
  • WOOT!
  • FounderBronzeSilver
7 years 4 months ago
nicoliy wrote:
Elleriel wrote:

I remember farming with groups in Perez Park near the dock (the sludge monsters - name escapes me).

Hydra. I hated those things when I first ran across them. Did not care for Perez much to be honest but never got tired of starting off a character with the suicide charge down the sewers.

I was good with waiting for the main travel power. After awhile I had the various jetpacks to use when I got into a jam.

7 years 4 months ago
I remember my first CoH character didn't actually get a full on travel power until level 26 (Super Jump). I just thought running and taking the trams was sufficient, even though I was always last at getting to a mission point until one of the other team members took teleport friend as a power.

-Wolf sends

7 years 4 months ago
I still remember the first time I ran into Stryfe. Who knew that slotting run speed and jump and just acrobatics and sprint could be so effective. That guy destroyed me 3 times before I realized he had no travel power.

7 years 4 months ago
yeah i had some chars like that that Elleriel that just used combat jump sprint and jetpacks to maximize their power slots, it just depended on chars, had a ice stone brute that just had TP's had others with hover and TP or super speed and combat jumping extra some got travels really early others got hasten or something then combat jump then would only get super speed at like level 20 ish
depended on the type of char what it needed for basic operations then a travel in most cases apart from the odd troller or something that needed to hover out of melee range as core defence
Such is Life

7 years 4 months ago
I like flight and speed. I have never really liked teleporting in coh.
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by GreyGuard.

7 years 4 months ago
Same, I really stuck with flight but did make a character to try teleportation.

7 years 4 months ago
Elleriel wrote:
Maybe a hybrid of both where you pick it but have it 'suppressed' to start until you do a quest for permission to use it. As a player you could take that mission on right away or do something else. Best of both worlds of sorts.

I agree with this
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Deacon.

7 years 4 months ago
Deacon wrote:
Same, I really stuck with flight but did make a character to try teleportation.

Flight was my most used for sure (especially after they added after burner). My favorite was super jump though. Even now I still go into Paragon Chat and just SJ around the buildings and such. It was just good fun.

TP I had if it was a good thematic fit. What I liked was binding Lshift+click for it, made it more manageable and useable in combat.

7 years 4 months ago
Teleportation was definitely the most fun (if frustrating) travel power. I used them all and loved each one as it was tied in to my character concepts. Part of what attracts me to a good MMO is growing into the character, I need to have something to look forward to as I level otherwise it is just the same thing over and over from level 1 on. I liked the travel powers being restricted to levels, though certainly I can see reasons for not wanting it that way.

7 years 4 months ago
My opinion: Make the travel powers after the tutorial (ala Champions). Superman had superjump and flight when he began his career, as did the Flash with his. Storm had her flight ability when her powers manifested. I don't think any hero didn't gain his/her travel power near the middle of his/her crimefighting.

7 years 3 months ago
MikaMerrow wrote:
I don't think any hero didn't gain his/her travel power near the middle of his/her crimefighting.

your forgetting all the natural type characters like green arrow dare devil ext and mutants like dead pool beast and cyclopse that had combat jumping at best or relied on items to travel
Such is Life
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Archanarchist.

7 years 3 months ago
Archanarchist wrote:
MikaMerrow wrote:
I don't think any hero didn't gain his/her travel power near the middle of his/her crimefighting.

your forgetting all the natural type characters like green arrow dare devil ext and mutants like dead pool beast and cyclopse that had combat jumping at best or relied on items to travel

You're also forgetting Spiderman who developed Web slinging about the same time he gained his powers (depending on the canon). You forget also several other characters who quickly developed some form of innate travel before they went into crimefighting. The option should be there, not left for some high-level hero.

• ZeeHero
  • Platinum Member
  • FounderBronzeSilver
    Gold
7 years 1 week ago
Possible necro, and apologies if that's not allowed, but can I still vote? I don't see an option but I would totally vote for picking the first travel power on character creation.

However I think it should be possible to earn additional ones later through progression.
There is tremendous life and personality in a name. It should be at least as agonized over as any character trait.”
― Travis Beacham
  • Page:
Moderators: AEGIS